Saturday, June 17, 2017

Confabulation, anger and me in the middle

I have been instructed by Old-Fart management that Jim is not to walk alone including walking four blocks to the senior center to play chess. I was successful in managing this for three weeks without Jim knowing of this stricture. But, boy howdy, does he know now and he has been raging about it obsessively for two days non-stop. Last night I got him to take two tranquilizers so he would go to bed earlier.

I'm at wits end assuming I ever had any. The degree and frequency of confabulation is remarkable. In another situation it might even be prize-worthy. Samples of his raging talk today.

-- I'm illegal.
-- This book is illegal because I got it at a bookstore I walk to.
-- no one is allowed to walk to the senior center or they will be arrested.
-- [Kathy] ruined chess.
-- Bill Lee ( a chess player) won't play chess with me because I'm illegal.
-- When I signed the contract I did not know I was go into an asylum.
-- I'm not allowed to have books.
-- I'm not allowed to play chess.
-- Bill Lee (chess player) is afraid of me because I'm a criminal.
-- Who knew walking on sidewalks is a crime.
-- I'm a criminal.

And much more. I am quite beside myself but have yet to explode.

4 comments:

  1. Kat, I am so sorry. How did things go today? This is cruel for both of you and I wish I could do something. Can I visit again? Can I bring something?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A little better now, Leah, thank you. It has been quite the hard row to hoe. Jim's not up to company but such a sweet offer, thankee.

      Delete
  2. I wish I could propose a concrete plan for de-escalating this for Jim by re-casting for pleasanter meanings. I wonder if there is a way to help him feel like the subversive rebel of the past, an activist with a righteous point of view -- and not a victim.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Interesting, Katharine. I have proposed to Jim that he show up management by being a model old fart but neither of us quite bought that. I explained that he is not the only victim of the new regime as others are similarly restricted. Gradually Jim is calming down but you never know when the entire rant will resurface.

    ReplyDelete