Friday, August 6, 2021

How Jim Died

 Jim tested positive for covid January 31st in his memory care unit at the Palo Alto Commons. He then was asymptomatic. And remained so for several days until he came down with full-blown covid on February 6th, then was transported to Stanford Hospital on February 7th. He was sequestered in the covid ward where I was not allowed to see him.

Instead I spent four hours in a tiny room waiting for a doctor to tell me what was happening. What was happening was Jim was dying. I worked with the Stanford hierarchy to transfer Jim back to his apartment on February 9th at the Palo Alto Commons where I would be allowed to see him.

And so I kept Jim company every evening until he died in the early morning of February 11th.

And that’s how it happened. 




1 comment:

  1. Always want to read what you have to say here.

    What are your Paris dates?

    ReplyDelete